The Grove has seven garden areas under development. Gardens 1-4 are linked by Annette's Memorial Way, which gently meanders past memorials to individuals and military units. Gardens 5 & 6 will be linked by the new Falklands Memorial Way from the Sun Room to the Falklands Resistance Force memorials. From then on we enter the Airborne Forces Way toward the future Pegasus Bridge Memorial Flight at the end of the Grove.
The Open Air Book
The Grove is being designed as an open air book, with every memorial telling a story. Some just a sentance, some a paragraph and some with chapters. The Military memorials give an brief insight into Allied Special Forces operations during World War Two up to the present day. We include Civilian and our Friends memorials in the Grove in concert with the National Memorial Arboretum spirit of commemorating the people of the 20th & 21st Centuries.
We invite new memorials in the Grove. Contact Mike Colton ~ 07929-118598.
Memorial Projects needing funds.
We are in the process of creating new memorials consisting of : -
- Falklands Memorial Way - Now installed at a cost of £2,400. We thank everyone for their kind donations. We also thank the National Memorial Arboretum for their contribution of good black compost to fill the grids.
- Falklands Resistance Forces - Garden 6 - which will honour the civilians of the Falkland Islands who resisted the enemy in 1982.
- Funds raised to date: - £ 600. Further amount needed to complete £200 (Revised estimate). Work Started
- Pegasus Bridge Memorial - Garden 7 - commemorating the "Coup de Main" Glider Landing on D-day 1944.
- Funds raised to date: - £6255. Further amount needed to complete £3745 (Budget estimate).
- Nurse Edith Cavell memorial. Edith was shot by the Germans in 1915, condemed to death because she helped hundreds of British soldiers escape from Belgium. All funds welcome to establish a garden area in her honour. This memorial will be placed opposite the Escape Lines "Home Run" memorial in Garden 1 ~ Special Operations.
We would be pleased to arrange guided tours of the Grove for individuals and groups. Contact Mike Colton ~ 07929-118598.
The Gardens in the Grove
Garden 1 - Special Operations and WW1 Poppy Trail
Garden 2 - Our Friends Garden
Garden 3 - The Dieppe Raid, Moussey Memorial & Popski's Private Army
Garden 4 - The Sun Room & Special Air Service Memorials
Garden 5 - Cockleshell Heroes Memorial - Royal Marine Boom Patrol Detachment
Garden 6 - Falklands Resistance Forces
Garden 7 - Pegasus Bridge & Airborne Forces Memorials